Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dialogue

I've often mentioned my wife when writing, whether on this blog or on my earlier one.  Rarely does a week pass without the two of us having a conversation about our current finances, our goals, our mutual dislike of the 40+ hour workweek, or our progress over time.  She's a great ally.

Until recently, she seemed content to focus on the big picture and let me keep track of the details:  tracking our spending, paying the bills, entering the orders for our investment purchases, and so on.  However, within the past few months she decided to take a more active role in the day to day workings of our household finances.  At her request, I recommended two of my favorite personal finance books for her to read (Your Money or Your Life by Dominguez/Robin and The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley/Danko).  She tore through both books in short order and declared herself ready for more.

Since then, we've had more detailed conversations about specific stocks/companies we'd like to invest in.  We're sharing spreadsheets online which help us plan for specific scenarios instead of hypotheticals.  And we're working toward converting our long-term aspirations into actionable goals to work on during the next five to ten years.  From my point of view, it's been a welcome addition to our already healthy dialogue.

I also invited her to participate in this blog.  She's listed as the other contributor now, using her alias "the Spicy Princess".  I leave it up to her to decide if/when to commit her own thoughts to this space.  Meanwhile I'll continue to work on making more frequent entries (my own goal for 2013).

2 comments:

  1. That's great that she's taking a much bigger interest in the family finances and investing. My wife is how your's was, and just kind of lets me handle it all. I'm trying to get her to learn a little bit about it and hopefully that'll pique her interest. I gave her Your Money or Your Life to read over the xmas break since she's off for the next 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, that book does the best job of illustrating how attainable early retirement can be. Armed with that knowledge, it's easy to get more excited about taking steps to put a saving/investing plan into action.

    ReplyDelete