Wednesday, August 15, 2012

From the Beginning

This is the beginning of this blog.

I had an earlier blog in which I chronicled paying off a mortgage in less than five years.  That mortgage happened to be a liability of my wife and myself, so I had a personal interest in the matter.   It's been a year since I wrote anything in that blog, mainly because once the mortgage was paid off, there wasn't much else to say on that topic.

However, I have some other things to say, and other goals to set and hopefully achieve.  That is where this new blog comes into play.

I think I was far too verbose in the last blog.  I'm going to try to post more frequently here, but with more brevity.

Let's start by throwing out a goal, or a mission statement, or a purpose.

Our goal is to accumulate enough income-producing investments that both of us can leave our full-time jobs within the next ten years.

The purpose of this blog is to record our success or failure in achieving that goal.

I guess I don't have a mission statement yet.  I'll work on that.

We've already made some progress in accumulating some investments.  You can see them on the Portfolio page.  Feel free to applaud or deride our choice of investments as you see fit.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you writing again and on a new platform. Personally I never found you to be verbose but we often see ourselves different from how we are perceived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you share a little bit about your income strategy? Stocks only? How many different stocks do you plan to hold? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious like Petunia, are you only doing stocks or are your considering real estate (rentals) or other small businesses (car washes, gas stations, etc)? Congrats again on truly owning your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the new blog! I look forward to your progress.

    looks like you put your current portfolio in place July 12th. where did you have the $$$ before then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I am far too lazy to want to take on anything more ambitious than passive investments. Perhaps once my time as a full-time employee has ended, I'll feel more motivated to try other forms of investing, like real estate. However, I am not as ambitious as some, and I'm pretty motivated by laziness, so I really don't see myself trying to run a traditional sort of business. And if I was to try my hand at real estate, I might get a property manager to take care of tasks for me so I didn't have to feel like I was working at another job. Sure, it would cut into our returns, but you often get what you pay for.

    Meanwhile, in the near term, I'm sticking with brokerage investments like stocks and REITs.

    Before the recent purchases our cash had been steadily accumulating in a savings account, earning paltry interest, while we discussed whether we wanted to move forward with stock purchases. As you can see from the portfolio details, we decided to go ahead with that plan back in July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, great to see you blogging again! I look forward to following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to see you've started another blog, look forward to following the next part of your journey

    ReplyDelete